Call : 508-828-6540


This is the process of having a man legally declared to be the father of the child. If the child is born to the parents who have never been married it is called both “Paternity or sometimes a 209c case; which refers to the General Laws of Massachusetts c. 209c. Probate Court has the power […]

There had been 3 main errors in the 2017 guidelines. These changes are not as significant, but it does change some of the calculation forms.  In particular, the different child support calculations in a variety of cases especially if there are children both under and over 18.  There are also additional adjustments for childcare, health […]

Is it Possible to Deviate or not follow the Child Support Guidelines?       In Massachusetts the Judge is permitted to deviate; which means not follow the Child Support Guidelines and it can be either higher or lower from the guideline amount.  In certain circumstances, if it is plus or minus 2% points the Judge […]

Does Child Support Ends Automatically when a Child turns 18?            In Massachusetts the answer is not necessarily. Child support may go up until the age of 23 if the child is a full-time student and there are some legal definitions of when a child is independent or emancipated. Can the Courts overrule […]

If a Parent loses their Job or gets a New Job, Does Child Support Automatically Change?                                                                                […]

What is Child Support intended to Cover?     In Massachusetts child support is intended to cover the child’s basic living necessities and expenses; which includes things such as food; shelter; clothing; academic expenses; necessary medical costs and reasonable recreation expenses. How is the Amount of Child Support Calculated? Massachusetts has a Child Support Guidelines worksheet […]

Are Step-parents Legally Obligated to Support a Child that is not the Actual Parent of? In Massachusetts as a general matter, the duty to support the child is the parents.  The step-parents income is not factored in when calculating the Mass child support obligations of the non-custodial (even custodial) parent.  However, there can be arguments […]

If DCF substantiates a concern you are allowed to file a grievance process. If you speak to an Attorney, they can tell you about the advantages and disadvantages.

Some common areas that people ask when working with DCF. DCF is obligated to investigate the 51A report even if it is false. There are some exceptions to the rule. However, there is someone that is called the “Screener” who looks at the 51A to determine whether or not it should be screened in or […]

What is the Difference between a Court Ordered Mediation and Private Mediation?            In Massachusetts sometimes, the court tells the parties to go to Probation or Family Services for a Court Ordered mediation as a requirement as part of the divorce proceedings. A private mediation is a voluntary process where both […]