The Court has to find that you are indigent and there are only certain cases that they will consider appointing as an attorney.

Indigencies under the General Laws of Chapter 261 Section 27a.    If you are receiving public assistance if after your tax income is 125% or less of the poverty threshold and those who can’t afford at a cost without being deprived of necessities of life; including food, shelter and clothing.

So, these are both where you can get court costs waived and in certain cases have an attorney appointed.