The parent or guardian has the right to attend all court hearings. They have a right to be represented by an attorney at any court hearing. If the Judge considers ordering custody to someone other than the parent where the court can appoint one for the parent or guardian, if the parent or guardian cannot afford one. It can be appealed as well.