In Massachusetts you do need to make a written request to the local area DCF office or a copy of the redacted records which means the blacked-out records. You should also keep a copy of the letter with that request in a file in case there is a disagreement. 

In addition, if you have a court hearing you can subpoena the DCF worker along with the records to court and ask the Judge to do an Order to Disclose on the day of Court.