This is the process of having a man legally declared to be the father of the child. If the child is born to the parents who have never been married it is called both “Paternity or sometimes a 209c case; which refers to the General Laws of Massachusetts c. 209c.

Probate Court has the power to enter Orders for child support, health insurance, uninsured medical expenses, legal and physical custody, parenting time and issues related to a child born outside of the marriage.  There is sometimes help that Mass. Dept of Revenue can do or DOR.  In addition, Juvenile Court at times can deal with paternity if there is a companion case; usually a DCF or a Guardianship case in Juvenile Court.

In addition, there are same sex partners that can be applied in Section 209c; including in judication of the mother.